Which data is saved during system state backup?
The system state backup contains specific information about the Windows installation and application settings of the device. By creating a system state backup for a device, you will be able to restore the entire Windows installation and all Windows applications if, for example, a hard drive on the device ever becomes defective.
The following data is included in a system state backup:
- Boot files, including system files, and files protected by Windows File Protection (WFP)
- Active Directory (if the device is part of a domain)
- Sysvol folder (if the device is a domain controller)
- Certificate Services (if the device is a certification server)
- Cluster database (if the device is a cluster node)
- Performance counter configuration information
- COM+ class registration database